Thursday, April 27, 2006

What Is Success?


black birdfall leaves centerblack bird


What is success?

How do you describe the word success?

What would it take for you to feel successful?I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks on this.

Of course it would help get the discussion moving if I posted my feelings on it, so here I go...I've known several people who thought that they weren't successful until they earned so much money a year, owned a certain make car (Jaguar or BMW for instance), owned a vacation home, or a big boat. I always looked at these guys and asked them why they thought that money and items were success and they really didn't have an answer. That always bothered me. It made me sad and I felt like they were missing out on the joys of real success.

I live on a beach, where lots of millionaires vacation each year, and I see these so called successful people every day. They have a lot of money coming in, they have the second house on the beach, they have the boat, they have the car, and they look around and say they still want more, but than they also have the mortgages, the bank loans, the lease, and the sky rocketing property taxes. They have the "things" but they also have the debt and stress that comes with them. They tell people that at last they are successful, but than they are sad and depressed and end up with counseling bills on top of everything else, cause they need counseling to find out, why if they are so "successful" why than are they not also happy?

These same summer folks often look at me and my family...5 people and 200+ pets, living in a cabin just under 700 square feet, on an income of less than $20,000 a year, and with a car that gets towed home several times a year cause it's so old and beat up. They often ask us, how we can live like this and be happy. Why aren't we stressed out like they are? Why aren't we striving to be "successful" like them?

My answer is always the same. What is success? Is it money? Is it big houses and fancy cars? No. It is a family that loves you. It is having a job that allows you to stay home with your family, even if it doesn't make you rich. It is taking care of animals that were abandoned by their previous owners and knowing that they are now happy and safe. It is being able to walk to the beach each day and see the sunrise or the sunset, even if our house is the smallest one in town. It's going to the movies with our children and talking about why we liked it on the drive home. It's the weekly pizza nights, when we sit around talking and laughing in a tiny local pizza parlor, where we are so regular that they save our seats and know what to order without our seeing the menu.

No, success can not be counted in dollars and cents; success is counted in hours and minutes, laughter and tears...success in when you have a family that loves you, that you enjoy spending time with, and no amount of money can ever buy that.






What's your take on this? I'd love to hear what you have to say about this post. Leave a comment and share your views!




-------------
Copper Cockeral
Publishing Your NaNo Novel?
Do You and I Read the Same Books?
Want to Give Me a Reward for Reaching 50k?
*I Love Phookas!*




black birdfall leaves centerblack bird



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Are You a NaNo Blogger Too?



This blog is part of:




Get Your Psychic Reading Today!

Need Psychic Help?
Yep, I'm an online psychic.
http://www.keen.com/EelKat
Sample Readings can be viewed HERE



My readings are done in person or via E-mail ONLY!:
(Price is PER reading, NOT per minute!)

3 Card Reading $9.69
Above-Below-Within 7 Card Reading $14.58
The Circle of Life 12 Card Reading $24.58
The Circle of Life 24 Card Reading $45.80

Welcome To EK's Writing Blog

My blog with advice for writers, answers to questions, and a random variety of whatever pops into my head and comes out as a blog post.

Welcome

If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best: Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!. Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!. Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
.

Check Out My Other Web Sites!

If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best:

Former About This Blog:

Welcome

Welcome to my writing blog! If you have visited before, than you will notice some changes, namely, that the theme has changed. My long time readers well recognize this theme: Yes, SHIVER is back, and I'm am now working on my pet project once again.

For those asking "What is SHIVER?". SHIVER is my ghost story project that has taken me several years to get written down, but is finally seeing an end in sight. SHIVER is soon to be published by The Twighlight Manor Press and has a planned release date of: October 2009. Watch for it!

NaNoWrimo 2008 is just around the corner and so this blog is rising from the grave to return once again for iit's third year as my official NaNoWriMo blog.

EelKat's Latest Activity on I Believe

About This Blog:

I Won in 2006I've signed up for this year's NaNoWriMo 2007 (my third year at NaNo!) and this is my blog for it, where I talk about my thoughts about writing, my ideas for NaNo, and the progress of my contest entry for this year's National Novel Writing Month contest.


NaNoWriMo: 50,000 words in 30 days. Have you got it in you?



Quick Linker

Join Human Age!

Virtual human development game
free human development game
www.human-age.com

Pink Panther at  MGMStore.com! Shop the Star Trek Store Today!