Monday, January 28, 2008

Merfolks...


black birdfall leaves centerblack bird


Merfolk
Merpeople
Mermen
Mermaids
Merrows
Sirens
Selkies
Kelpies
Greenwitches
Swamp Jennies
Water Faeries
Sea Nymphs
Water Sprites


...no matter what you call them, I love the peoples of the sea. Several of my stories have sea people of some sort in them.

I was wondering, when you think, about the water people races, what do you see? How do they look? Where do they live? What do they act like?

Are they half-human-half-fish? part eel? part octopus? Do they have legs or fish tails?

Are the human like with legs on land, but grow a tail when wet? or do they turn into a seal or manta ray when wet, but human when dry?

Are they human skin colored and human hair colors, or are they blue shinned, green haired, etc?


Are fresh water ones drap silvers and browns, like catfish and trout?

Are tropical ones orance and whire striped like clown fish or neon yellow like Tangs? or have poison spikes like lion fish?

Do Japanese mermaids have orange gold fish fan tails and red and white Koi markings?


Are they peaceful seaweed eaters or do they eat humans in a piranah-like frenzy?

Do they have any special powers?

Do they fear humans?

Do they live in vast underwater cities? Small family groups? Solitary?

Are they deep sea dwellers? Shore dwellers? Salt water? Brackish (swamp) water? Fresh water? Pools? Lakes? Rivers? Streams? Lagoons? Brooks? Salt flats? Mashes? Swamps?

Good? Evil? Peaceful? Wariors?



What do you see-think of when you think about water dwelling fantasy races?



What's your take on this? I'd love to hear what you have to say about this post. Leave a comment and share your views!




-------------




Copper Cockeral
Publishing Your NaNo Novel?
Do You and I Read the Same Books?
Want to Give Me a Reward for Reaching 50k?
*I Love Phookas!*
Copper Cockeral



black birdfall leaves centerblack bird



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape




Join Associated Content

2 comments:

  1. [quote=Shweta;2005682]I'd hope that water people would be as varied as the ocean, myself. If I can tell that a writer has done some fun research into actual marine life, which is pretty weird, I'll be very happy with 'em. :)[/quote]

    I've got several books of ocean life and shore life and on raising fish at home; everything from how-to guieds to huge encyclopedias about fish. I love the National Geo and DK books best because they have such great pictures. I try to study every thing I can so that my merfolks will be as varied as real fish are.

    Plus I live right on the ocean, so it just inspires me so much! I grew up on the beach and spent most of my childhood playing in tidalpools, I once brought home a big eel and kept him for a pet. I guess you could say I'm the closest thing there is to being a mermaid! LOL!


    [quote=Soccer Mom;2006028]ooh, I love Merfolk legends. Have you seen the move The Secret of Roan Innish? It's about a girl who realizes she is part selkie. I loved it.[/quote]


    I love Roan Innish! I saw it years ago. It was based on a book. I have the book, but I never read it yet.



    [quote=Sassee;2006340]EelKat I liked the variety in your descriptions, especially the differences in appearance based on region / habitat. Merthings aren't very "in" right now, but if you put as much imagination into your novels as you do your posts, I could see that changing ;)[/quote]

    I love merfolk. They are my faves no matter what they show up in... books, movies, whatever. I started studying the differant types from all around the world throughout history and how the stories change and such. I found it interesting how every culture has merfolk stories, but they are differant depending on the type of water and aquatic life are in the area. So I try to create new races of merfolk based on the differant cultures and types of fish in the area. WOW! I think I spend more time creating new races of merfolks than I do writing stories about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW -- Japanese mermaids, now THAT is something I have never even considered. Excellent idea, though. Yes, they would be black and orange and white, like koi. Totally cool idea.

    Hey, I'm going to be doing ScriptFrenzy too! I loved it last year.

    ReplyDelete

Are You a NaNo Blogger Too?



This blog is part of:




Get Your Psychic Reading Today!

Need Psychic Help?
Yep, I'm an online psychic.
http://www.keen.com/EelKat
Sample Readings can be viewed HERE



My readings are done in person or via E-mail ONLY!:
(Price is PER reading, NOT per minute!)

3 Card Reading $9.69
Above-Below-Within 7 Card Reading $14.58
The Circle of Life 12 Card Reading $24.58
The Circle of Life 24 Card Reading $45.80

Welcome To EK's Writing Blog

My blog with advice for writers, answers to questions, and a random variety of whatever pops into my head and comes out as a blog post.

Welcome

If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best: Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!. Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!. Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
.

Check Out My Other Web Sites!

If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best:

Former About This Blog:

Welcome

Welcome to my writing blog! If you have visited before, than you will notice some changes, namely, that the theme has changed. My long time readers well recognize this theme: Yes, SHIVER is back, and I'm am now working on my pet project once again.

For those asking "What is SHIVER?". SHIVER is my ghost story project that has taken me several years to get written down, but is finally seeing an end in sight. SHIVER is soon to be published by The Twighlight Manor Press and has a planned release date of: October 2009. Watch for it!

NaNoWrimo 2008 is just around the corner and so this blog is rising from the grave to return once again for iit's third year as my official NaNoWriMo blog.

EelKat's Latest Activity on I Believe

About This Blog:

I Won in 2006I've signed up for this year's NaNoWriMo 2007 (my third year at NaNo!) and this is my blog for it, where I talk about my thoughts about writing, my ideas for NaNo, and the progress of my contest entry for this year's National Novel Writing Month contest.


NaNoWriMo: 50,000 words in 30 days. Have you got it in you?



Quick Linker

Join Human Age!

Virtual human development game
free human development game
www.human-age.com

Pink Panther at  MGMStore.com! Shop the Star Trek Store Today!