Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Space Ship vs Star Ship


black birdfall leaves centerblack bird


(reposting this old post)

What is the difference between a space ship and a star ship?

I don't know if this is considered "cannon" to the general sci-fi genre or not; or how it compares to other writers and what they do, but I write sci-fi and this is what I do for my own stories:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

shuttle crafts:

can only be used for short distance travel, much like an airplane, they carry at most maybe 30 people; they can leave the atmosphere to reach an orbiting ship; they can leave an orbiting ship to land on a planet; they can travel like a plane from one continent to another on a planet;


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


spaceships:

large ships, can have a large crew of hundreds, but if need be could be run with only a handful of crew members; they may or may not have shuttle crafts on board; their travel abilities varies depending on the type of ship; small ones act much like large compacaty shuttle crafts, while the large ones can orbit planets, and travel from one planet to the next; some can only go to the nearest planets, while others can go to the farthest planets in to solar system; they do not however leave the solar system


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


starships:

these are the same as spaceships in size and structure, but they are driven useing different "fuel" methods than the spaceships, thus enabling them to travel to other solar systems... i.e. they can travel from one star to the next, thus the reason they are called "star" ships. Depending on the "fuel-method", some star ships can only travel to near solar systems while other can go not only to other solar systems but also to other galaxies; some can travel via a "portal drive", to arrive at far reaching galaxies in a matter of seconds



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


inter-stela starships:

these are the biggest, most powerful of the ships in my books, they can carry tens of thousands on board these giant mega ships; these are the same as starships, just bigger in size; in my stories, these are rare and hard to build ships, of the 12 built only 2 survived the test runs and remain in use, but are considered dangerous and rarely used; in my books they were built by the race of a dieing planet, in order to move the entire population to a new planet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I have not personally used the term star cruiser in my stories or books. However, if I did use it, this is how it would be used by me:




star cruiser:

star cruisers would come in many types and forms, but most often, a small ship used during war times; manned by a pilot and a crew of maybe 3 or 4 others; this small ship can't go very far, but it can go very fast, it is small and can move in and out of tight places;

if a transport type it would be used to get spies to where they need to go without being caught;

if a fighter type, it would be able to fire on delicate areas of large ships with pinpoint accuracy;

very very small single passenger ones would be able to be used on land, like a cross between a motorcycle and a hovercraft; these would be called land cruisers not star cruisers

big star cruisers would be passenger transports from planet to planet, and refered to as transport barges

a cruise-ship or cruise-liner, would be the same as a cruise-ship or cruise-liner on earth, only it would be a star-ship not a water boat; in that it carries tourists on pleasure cruises from one planet/galaxy to another; these would be big slow moving luxury liners


at least, that's what comes to my mind when I think of star cruiser


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, that's me and my stories, and how I define space-ships veres star-ships

I hope this helps

~~EK






What's your take on this? I'd love to hear what you have to say about this post. Leave a comment and share your views!


Thank You Kitty


-------------
If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best:


Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


When Next You See Me I'll Look Like This:




Obsessed? I'm Not Obsessed... REALLY, I'm not!


Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


black birdfall leaves centerblack bird



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape


Blingo




blog comments powered by Disqus

Are You a NaNo Blogger Too?



This blog is part of:




Get Your Psychic Reading Today!

Need Psychic Help?
Yep, I'm an online psychic.
http://www.keen.com/EelKat
Sample Readings can be viewed HERE



My readings are done in person or via E-mail ONLY!:
(Price is PER reading, NOT per minute!)

3 Card Reading $9.69
Above-Below-Within 7 Card Reading $14.58
The Circle of Life 12 Card Reading $24.58
The Circle of Life 24 Card Reading $45.80

Welcome To EK's Writing Blog

My blog with advice for writers, answers to questions, and a random variety of whatever pops into my head and comes out as a blog post.

Welcome

If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best: Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!. Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!. Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
.

Check Out My Other Web Sites!

If you liked reading this blog and want to read more stuff written by me, I have lots of websites, where you can read other things I write, here are a few of the ones I like the best:

Former About This Blog:

Welcome

Welcome to my writing blog! If you have visited before, than you will notice some changes, namely, that the theme has changed. My long time readers well recognize this theme: Yes, SHIVER is back, and I'm am now working on my pet project once again.

For those asking "What is SHIVER?". SHIVER is my ghost story project that has taken me several years to get written down, but is finally seeing an end in sight. SHIVER is soon to be published by The Twighlight Manor Press and has a planned release date of: October 2009. Watch for it!

NaNoWrimo 2008 is just around the corner and so this blog is rising from the grave to return once again for iit's third year as my official NaNoWriMo blog.

EelKat's Latest Activity on I Believe

About This Blog:

I Won in 2006I've signed up for this year's NaNoWriMo 2007 (my third year at NaNo!) and this is my blog for it, where I talk about my thoughts about writing, my ideas for NaNo, and the progress of my contest entry for this year's National Novel Writing Month contest.


NaNoWriMo: 50,000 words in 30 days. Have you got it in you?



Quick Linker

Join Human Age!

Virtual human development game
free human development game
www.human-age.com

Pink Panther at  MGMStore.com! Shop the Star Trek Store Today!